Sunday 11 August 2024

The Welsh dresser

 

Thanks for all the comments on my Welsh dresser/sideboard.  Don't worry I am NOT painting it, I just said I had thought about it in the past.  It's currently 'staged' with a plant and my Odin and Frigga statues.  

I don't know if it's Welsh (as in made in Wales) it's just always been called that in the family.  But it came from my maternal grandpa's side of the family where there are Welsh relatives.  He was from Rochdale in Lancashire and never really lost his accent despite living in Scotland most of his adult life.  According to my mum it was originally my great gran's dresser which was then passed down to my great aunt who lived in Wales.  It's not what you'd typically think a 'Welsh dresser' looks like especially as it had a huge mirror and spindles in the middle section.  The wee bit I have with the oval mirror would have sat on top of that section.  I suspect it was a parlour dresser and not a kitchen one.

The top two drawers have these part flower carvings.  These drawer fronts are solid wood whereas the lower four have veneer fronts which have a few bubbles.  They're a different colour which is why I'd considered painting them in the past.

The top piece is also solid wood and has leafy carvings.

You can see how bashed about it is close up.  It came to me like this.

Although I suspect this bit was scraped in the move!

The handles are rather pretty too!

I kinda like it exactly as it is scraped and bashed up a bit.  It can hold a lot of stuff!  The bottom two drawers are currently full of yarn and knitting stuff!

Long time readers may remember this photo from lockdown.  I saw it in my memory app this morning and thought I might try putting my rainbow of gin bottles on the sideboard.  Then I also saw in this photo one of the lamps and my Frigga statue!!  Lol! 😊

12 comments:

  1. The knocks and scrapes are part of the dressers charm, a lovely family heirloom.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the lumps and bumps. Not valuable but a lovely link to a side of my family I've never met :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the close ups of the dresser. I would contact The Repair Shop as the dresser has such a personal provenance. Bet Will could help you to preserve it and tidy it up too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a brilliant idea!! I'd love to see it preserved properly :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Thanx for this post Ali, close up your dresser really is a stunner, its scrapes and bumps add to the charm, a positive heirloom so hope one of your sons will want it passed to them. Jan in Castle Gresley xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt the boys will be interested but my DIL might as the flat they live in is part of an old Victorian townhouse :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi, nice to meet you and I am following you as of today. Your dresser is beautifully carved and a family treasure. Come on over to my blog and follow me back if interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, nice to meet you too! I'll pop over to your blog and have a nosey! :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I agree with the others, the bumps and marks are part of history and valuable for that. It is just beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've watched many YouTube channels where the creator tries to 'age' a piece of furniture. I've got a naturally made one!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. It's actually more like a chiffonier, but it will always be your 'Welsh Dresser' and with good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it will always be our Welsh dresser!! :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks