Sunday 7 April 2024

I bought a house!

 


So here's my new house!  It's a 2 bedroomed semi detached built by Barratt (well known British house builder of the time) in 1986.  This was the second house I viewed when I started viewing properties.  I also viewed a similar smaller (and cheaper) one just round the corner but I couldn't put in an offer at the time as I hadn't put my house on the market.  This one was scruffy and a bit smelly tbh!!  And the décor is so bad it's mentioned in the home report!  So I said I wasn't interested.

Once my own house was sold and I'd bought a flat for my son (to rent from me) I started to view more houses.  To be honest there wasn't much choice in my price range and in my preferred areas within Stirling.  So I viewed it again with my middle son who was home for the wedding.  We thought the work needed on the roof (sagging sarkboards!) would be too costly so again I said I wasn't interested.

I'd just arrived in Inverness for the wedding when I received a call from the estate agent on behalf of the owners asking if I would consider a reduced offer to reflect the costs of the roof work.  Long story short, I did and they accepted!!  Clearly this house was meant to be mine! 😊


The kitchen is very dated (and has cupboard doors missing!) although it has a new oven that's only 4 months old.  The fridge freezer (just to the left of the pic) is integrated so I won't need to buy any white goods in the first wee while.  I'll take my washing machine with me.


The red wall at the dining area looks like it's been painted by the kids!!!  The red paint is all over the white wall sockets!!! 😂  The laminate flooring is ancient, scuffed and obviously been washed with bleach regularly as it looks dull.


The colour of the tiles in the bathroom is indescribable!!  This photo doesn't even begin to show the hideous colour 😱  If they're not hanging off I'll be painting them asap! 

Another weird colour in the living room!! A kind of mocha/peach 😕

But it has a decent sized safely enclosed garden for Luna!  It has a huge decking area that hasn't been maintained so it may have to go.

While the house is in move in condition, it does need a lot of updating décor wise and there are a few issues in the kitchen and bathroom.  The roof has some big issues too that will need attention maybe before next Winter but it's all doable.

I have enough funds from selling my house and my savings to buy the 2 properties, pay for all the legal and estate agent fees and the costs of moving.  But that's about it.  It's a wee bit scary!! Everything I do will be done on a very frugal budget!! 

Moving day for everyone is the 30th of May.  That's less than 8 weeks!  Better get decluttering in earnest!

37 comments:

  1. That's amazing. Although I'm seeing the rooms as they are now, I can easily imagine your decorating skills transforming them quickly. It will be a little palace, and so safe both front and back for Luna too.

    Personally I would get the roof done as the first priority, it would be awful to have the inside nice and then a major roof fail at the start of the Winter. But whatever you decide to do ... CONGRATULATIONS. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Roof is top of the list to get done before Winter. For H&S it will need scaffolding and you never know what else they might find once they're up there!! Decorating will simply be painting everything white or cream as I already have litres of the stuff. Then gradually over time I can do each room. The garden is boring and safe for now and over time I can make it mine and Luna will learn (hopefully!!) not to destroy it. She's in a stealing plant pot phase and destroying them!!!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations that is fantastic. It clearly is meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Def meant to be as I said no twice!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. So pleased that you have a new home and the size of the garden is amazing in a 1980’s house. Glad you held your nerve and got it for a lower price. You’ll need lots more paint but will soon make it your own. Good luck! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good size! New build houses have teeny outside spaces now so I'm very lucky. I see a lot of painting in my future! LOL!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Funny, the rooms don't actually look that bad in photos! But you're obviously a better judge of that, having seen it in real life. The garden's a lovely size, with a decent fence. Well done - now the work starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos make it look great! Def some 'touching up' happened. It's going to be a busy few weeks but I'm starting to look forward to it now :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Definitely some odd colours there!
    Congrats on getting it cheaper and good luck with the packing and moving and getting the roof sorted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very odd colours and the finish is very shoddy. I foresee a lot of sanding and prepping before painting!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. One thing about doing it up yourself is that it will soon feel all yours.
    Congratulations x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to making it all mine :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! I get the keys for my new place up north almost 2 weeks before you, but I have seven weeks of storage and cat accommodation to pay for due to the death of my first seller. Hopefully this house purchase will go through. I'll relax when the missives conclude. Good luck with the packing up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you too!! Fingers crossed this one goes smoothly. Waiting until the missives are signed is nerve wracking! :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. Exciting...at least it needs doing so you can pick what you like, rather than have to put up with something you don't like because it's still good. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bare bones are sound enough but it's been a wee bit neglected by the current owners (by their own omission) as they have 3 young kids :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your new home, it will be exciting for you to make it yours. Definitely get the roof done first. I agree the colours are weird, and those bathroom tiles are UGH! I paint my walls white or cream and just put the colour in with curtains and cushions, much easier to change then. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep everything will be painted white and cream asap!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. That's so exciting and scary all in one big bindle. I'm so glad you have found somewhere and that the money will cover everything. Over the coming months and years, you can make it your own lovely forever home with the decor and colour schemes that you really love.
    I reckon that house needs you as much as you need it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bindle? I meant bundle, of course. xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm hoping this is my forever home so will pour all my energy and creativity into making it mine :-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Well done. I assume this property is in the area you prefer as there seem to be others in the same/better condition at similar prices on RM? Everything looks usable and plenty of scope for you to put your own mark on it. Is your fridge/freezer integrated at the moment? If the one that is there is old then the one you have is likely to be more energy efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes this is one of the areas I prefer with easy access to the motorway so I can go visit my mum. It's definitely a case of buy the worst house in the best area!! There were a few other larger houses I liked but I only wanted 2 bedrooms and this one had an enclosed garden. My current fridges are integrated plus I have an ancient fridge freezer that def won't survive another move. The chest freezer in the garage is going to my son who just got married so I really need to work out the most efficient way to freeze stuff from the allotment this year! :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! It looks like a great floor plan and I’m sure you’ll be able to work wonders with paint. I hope you and Luna will be very happy there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's perfect for just me and the dog plus I think I can futureproof it for when I get older. The ideal would have been a bungalow but they're so rare that good ones get snapped up quickly for way over the asking price!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  13. Almost there Ali and then the work really begins!! Well done to you, you now have the time to plan all you want to do to your new home, exciting but scary all at the same time but you will do it, go girl go 😘. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's all systems go here and def scary/exciting in equal measure!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. Congratulations Ali. As you have stated the roof is number one priority. Other things can be done bit by bit as time and money allow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep it's all about the roof and making sure it doesn't leak!! Everything else can wait as long as it's clean :-) xxx

      Delete
  15. i hope all goes well for you, i'm sure you'll make your new house lovely, one step at a time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm not in any rush so will take my time, save up and do each room properly :-) xxx

      Delete
  16. Congratulations it looks perfect for you and has ‘good bones’ to make it your own. Lovely garden area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A safe garden was a priority and it's big enough for me to maintain along with my allotment :-) xxx

      Delete
  17. How exciting. It looks a fair size for you and Luna and a decent secure garden. Hope all goes well with both moves. You are going to be busy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For a 2 bed semi it's a decent size although I am having to get rid of a lot of furniture!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  18. Congrats! It's no mean feat to sell your own house, buy a flat for your son and a house for yourself in such a short time. Yes, the decor is wacky and dated but once it is all painted white it will be fine, we did that here, and then decorated as we went along and money became available. Good luck with decluttering and packing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took months to get the house ready and get all the legal stuff in place. Then all of a sudden it was sold (twice!!) and I'd bought the 2 smaller properties all in the space of 10 days!!! I can't wait to get stuck in and repaint. Maybe everyone will think my colour choices are wacky!! LOL! :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks