Monday 8 April 2024

Where's my asparagus?

 


Breakfast 8th April 2021

Twice in the last week I've had a memory pop up on FB about my asparagus being ready to pick and eat.  I've been checking it regularly and today went out to the garden to tidy up the raised bed it's in.  There's absolutely no sign of it at all!  I have 5 crowns that I planted in 2020 so they're well established by now.  I wonder if it's been too wet these last few months and it's rotted? 😟  I do hope not!

I did a Tesco shop this morning and didn't get very much.  But I spent £36.99 for a whole chicken, vegetables (fresh and frozen,) laundry liquid, toilet roll, eggs, cheese, bread flour, stock powder and black bin bags.  I'm really struggling to keep within my supermarket target of £25 a week. And I'm even more worried as I haven't planted a single seed yet for the allotment.  Normally by now I've at least got tomatoes well established and a few other things started.  I've not even planted my seed potatoes yet!

I need to give seed planting some thought as it will be disastrous to my annual food budget if I don't grow anything to eat!!

8 comments:

  1. That would be a shame although you'd have to leave it behind anyway. Here's hoping. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but I could be eating it right now!! I'll plant more this Autumn in my new garden :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. There's still time to plant tomato seeds - mine are still inside and only about 2" tall so they have some way to go before they go out - but remember that you can also buy plants later on (I know they aren't as cheap and you don't have the same choices - but better than nothing) I found that most things caught up even if started later so I hope you do too. I also found that others on the allotments had surplus plants to give away so I hope you meet someone with some spare plants also. Glad things are working out so far on the house front. Elaine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I've found the heated propagator in the garage so I'm starting off my tomatoes today!! I can't plant anything out here until well into May any way due to our late frost risk so they'll catch up eventually. I'm doing low maintenance plants (mostly potatoes) at the plot this year plus a ton of flowers :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I have no seeds sown yet, and I'm not overly concerned, although if the gale force wind and torrential rain stops long enough I would like to get a few pots filled with compost for my first seeds to go in before this weekend. I'm not risking any potatoes out in the big pots yet, they would just get too wet and rot before they could grow. So I'll hang on and let a few supermarket spuds chit away for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been appalling here for the last 3 months!! Everywhere is wet and soggy so it's probably a good thing I've not put the potatoes in yet either!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. There were a few times we replanted asparagus as it only came up for a couple of years, and we can't figure out why when the harvests were so good.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that strawberries and asparagus were good planted together so I added strawberries last year. And it was very successful, lots of berries and loads of spears. I wonder if it will do the same this year, although I'll be moved out by the time the strawberries are ready :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks