Sunday 2 September 2018

Blooming


5 years ago today I moved from what I considered my dream house to this one here in Stirling.  At the time I wasn't happy but hoped that eventually everything would work out.  Here's what I wrote back then:

One week tomorrow I leave this house.  Words cannot describe how deeply sad this makes me.  I've been told it's just a house, bricks and mortar but to me it has always been so much more.  It was the house and lifestyle I held in my dreams since I was a teenager thanks to The Good Life and Little House on the Prairie.
 
This was my forever home, the house where my children would return with their partners and their children.  My grandchildren would run round the huge garden, play football on the 'football pitch' and swing on the tyre swings.  I planned to build a tree house for them.  They'd help me collect eggs and pick veggies.  We'd walk the dogs on the moor and watch the deer. 
 
This was a sociable house where family and friends spent time and enjoyed the true peace and quiet of its location.  This is a house for sharing and I loved sharing it.
 
Yes it sounds too good to be true but for 7 years I truly lived that dream.  It wasn't perfect but the good always outweighed the bad.  And for a short time when I was left on my own I worked out a way to make it continue.  It would have been hard but I was willing to try.
 
But it wasn't to be.  The house has been sold after a long stressful process and I've bought a sensible house in Stirling for me and the Teenager.
 
I know I can make a lovely home for us even though I know in my deepest heart it's not what I want.  But I can bloom where I'm planted.  It's better for the Teenager to be near his friends and his big brother where he can become more independent.  I'm closer to where my partner lives and it's less than an hour to my parents' house by car.  All good sensible reasons.
 
And yet..........

So 5 years on I can honestly my life is really good.  I still think about my old house and sometimes even dream about it.  But within the next year or 2 I'll finally get my dream forever house with the man I want to spend the rest of my life with.  Definitely blooming 🌸🌺🌻🌼🌷🌹

12 comments:

  1. Always good to be looking forward, houses can be wonderful places and enrich our lives, but people make a perfect life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! It's all about the people in your life :-)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely, optimistic, positive post.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice happy - I was going to say ending but its really a beginning. I too love my house and would hate to leave it but I've always said to hubby if we ever got to a place where we couldn't afford the house we'd move, health before house. Happy hunting for it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Really looking forward to when we can start looking properly :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh my, Ali, that brought a tear to my eye today. I am so glad you have found your Mr Forever and you have a plan to live well together wherever the road may take you. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, thanks! We've got the same outlook on so many things and we've both been through similar marriage situations. We both know exactly what we want and don't want. It's going to be exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything happens for a reason, so 'they' say. You'll be getting your forever home very soon and everything else will be a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think everything happens for a reason even if you don't know what it is at the time!! :-)

      Delete
  7. I think a forever home that you choose and share together is wonderful - hopefully very soon. But, isn't that odd that you dream about your old home - because I dream about mine too! I truly loved that house, discovering its history under sheets of plywood (an inglenook and bread oven) and the Georgian windows etc. But, it came at a price: dear OH working every hour in London, commuting for hours, doing a stressful job, never seeing the kids. And the mortgage! Well, we gave it all up for a scratch existance in France, and although the stresses have been different, I have been able to keep a smallholding, sheep and pigs, chickens, rabbits and turkeys. We have both brought up our kids, and had space and time for each other (too much sometimes - tee hee!) But, 16 years later, I still have my 'moving' dream as I call it - moving back into my old home in England. Yet the funny thing is, the rooms are all different, as is the position and the surroundings. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! The rooms are different and I find secret/hidden rooms that I didn't know about when I lived there. I also dream about letting myself in when the new owners are out!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks