Sunday 30 September 2018

Feed a cold...


...starve a fever!  I'm eating/cooking as normal so it's definitely a stinky cold.  Still got the lurgy (thanks for the get well wishes) but hanging in there.  This bug/virus is sweeping through the school.  Today I've got blocked/ringing ears and am coughing up lots of green stuff!! 😷


This week I was given even more apples!! This lady successfully stores her apples in her cellar over the winter so all I'm getting are her leftovers and windfalls.  She must have very established trees!!


I chopped some up to make Spiced Apple Jelly.  The smell was amazing!!  Once I'd strained it through the jelly bag it didn't look that promising.


But once boiled with sugar and potted it looks lovely.


When I got up this morning Penny had discovered my mystery winter squash!!  Naughty chicken! 🐔  I picked it so she wouldn't eat any more.  I roasted it with a few apples, chipotle chilli flakes and honey then blitzed it all with stock to make soup for my work lunches this week.  I had some for lunch today.  It was rather tasty! Recipe from my old blog HERE.  This is the kind of eating I really want to do more and more.  Grow fruit and veg in my wee garden and cook it simply.  Use locally grown produce.  I find it very satisfying. 


I tested the Beetroot and Apple Chutney on oatcakes and goats cheese.  It was nice but will definitely improve with keeping a bit longer.  Recipe says 6 to 8 weeks and I'd say that's about right.  Ah well.

OH has replaced the tarpaulin roof on the chicken run with clear corrugated plastic.  It's not quite finished but I'm hoping it'll last longer than previous coverings.

Only 2 more weeks of school left.  Can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Chutney looks delicious and I love this kind of lunchespecially with some fruit. I’ve been prepping my voluntary class stuff today but I seem to be a bit low in energy-too much carbohydrate I suspect.DH is still full of the cold and sneezing constantly so he’s been pottering in the shed.Hope the two weeks doesn’t drag, and you are recovered for your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda glad I'm ill now and not during my holiday!

      Delete
  2. The jewel-colour of your apple jelly looks just amazing. And I love the sound of beetroot and apple chutney too. Yum! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really surprised at the end colour as the juice looked pretty dull

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks