Friday 18 February 2022

Eunice

 

The stormy view from my bedroom window this morning!  You can just about see the Gargunnock ridge in the background.  Luckily Central Scotland seems to be missing out on the worst effects of Storm Eunice.  We're used to this run of wind/rain/sleet/snow in Winter so are well prepared.  Although my son had to turn back home this morning as the motorway into work in Glasgow was down to one lane and there were several accidents! It took him 90 mins to travel just a few miles. I hope everyone manages to stay safe where you are!

I'm still feeling pretty rough, waiting for the antibiotics kick in.  I'm not sleeping well as I can't lie down without choking and coughing.  I'm exhausted.  I'm spending most of my time resting propped up in bed, watching stuff on my laptop while knitting or sewing.  I found a pile of hexies so have stitched them into flowers for my ongoing quilt project.  I need to lay it out to see how big it's getting!


I sent a message to my Headteacher this morning and said I wouldn't be in school next week.  I have to really focus on my health and get my immune system functioning properly again!  To be fair to her she was suitably sympathetic and told me to take care of myself but I know she's given people a hard time about being off work in the recent past.  

I'm sure it applies to many professions but dragging yourself into work when you're not well seems to be encouraged and applauded by managers.  They say things like 'self care is important, just ask for help' but you're made to feel guilty (implicitly or explicitly!) for taking any 'extra' time to get back on your feet.  I know I returned to work in November a week too early and definitely should have taken more time last month after having Covid.   I'll be summoned to a meeting with HR when I return as I now have had 4 spells of absence in the last 9 months: fractured ankle, chest infection, Covid and  another chest infection.  Interestingly all directly caused by where I work!!

When I was off with Covid last month, the first time I left the house after my positive test was to go back to work.  How dumb was that!!  Next week I'm going to try to get outside (weather permitting obviously!) and go for a wee walk or go to the shop.  If I'm still not able to do that by the end of the week I'll be taking another week off.  I'm taking this very seriously!

11 comments:

  1. I sure hope the extra time off will help you to feel better. You are exactly right. Managers and those in charge harp on self-care, but WHEN exactly are people supposed to have time for that? I've had a difficult year health-wise and have finally decided that I have to take care of me first. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope a wee bit of extra time will help! Hope you're feeling better too :-)

      Delete
  2. If workplace kicks up about this, it needs to be very firmly stated that they have to take responsibility for the parts that they have caused.
    (not very well expressed, but you know what I mean)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I know what you mean! As I'm the union rep for my school I tend to get treated with a bit more respect than my colleagues (which is a whole other issue entirely!!) so I'm happy to challenge the 'powers that be' on their responsibilities!! xxx

      Delete
  3. The HR system which picks on you when you have had a run of bad health, they should be supporting you, finding ways to bring you back to top health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, totally agree!! After each absence you're supposed to have a return to work meeting where they ask if there's anything you need to prevent future absences. I still haven't had my meeting for my Covid absence!!!!

      Delete
  4. It never changes just more bureaucracy.I am a retired teacher but my daughter is a teacher and had to have a return to work meeting.!!!!!??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a tick the box exercise and an added layer of paperwork. You could say/ask for anything to improve your work life and it all just gets filed away on a form

      Delete
  5. health is the most precious thing, you're very sensible to not rush back to work before you're really ready x

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's definitely a culture of soldiering on when you're ill or returning to work before you're fully recovered. When I fractured my ankle last year my Headteacher offered to relocate my class downstairs so I wouldn't need to go up and down the stairs with my crutches!! I actually considered it!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks