Saturday 14 May 2022

Supermarket free May?

 

I didn't make a conscious decision to stay out of the supermarket this month but I've got to the 14th without needing to buy any food.  I've been using up what's in my fridge and freezer and will move on to the store cupboards soon!  I found another(!) tub of frozen mixed berries from the garden in the very bottom of my freezer (I really need a better system!) and used them in some sheet pancakes this morning.  Recipe HERE  I'm out of soya milk but had some out of date soya yoghurt so used that instead.  They taste great!

I had a load of eggs to use up, some from last month's Too Good to Go bag and some from Tuppence.  I also made a rice crust quiche and used up a wrinkly pepper and squishy tomatoes (also from a TGTG bag) 


Earlier this week I had some sweet potatoes that I just cubed and baked with fajita spice.  I made roast potatoes with the white potatoes.  They lasted me 4 days and I just ate them with beans and/or eggs on the side.  Simple food but delicious!

I've carrots and onions to use up so they'll go into some lentil and rice soup.  So I'll have pancakes for breakfasts, soup for lunches and quiche for evening meals served with frozen veg.  I've pulled some frozen duck breasts out the freezer (as you do!!) so need to find a way to use them up this week.  I have plenty of food, I just need to be creative to turn it into meals 😋


I popped over to the allotment and cleaned out the polytunnel. It's ready for my tomato plants! 🍅 I've also got some pepper and chilli plants but they're not quite big enough to put in yet.  The rest of my plot is a mess but I'm doing a wee bit at a time.  I've ordered some recycled plastic compost bins to turn my weeds into compost!

I've completed my first full week of teaching since January.  I'm a bit tired but I'm ok.  I'm learning to pace myself and not overdo things.  I'm not a patient person so that's hard!! 😁

6 comments:

  1. Hi I find if I group things
    together in the freezer it helps. Put fruit in one pork in another that sort of thing. I just use plastic bags and pop on a label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to bag similar things together!! Chest freezers are a nightmare for 'losing' stuff!

      Delete
  2. I hate to admit it but I have never owned (or felt the desire to own) a freezer. My fridge has quite a big freezer compartment so that is plenty of room for me. Usually there are a few leftovers stashed in there if I run out of anything for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't live without a freezer! But then I've always used one to buy in bulk and batch cook. I love how we all do things differently :-)

      Delete
  3. My new fridge has the freezer on top so baskets are working for me. My freezer is an upright with drawers. The problem is the drawer fronts are plastic and break. It is also not a frost freeze which is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another freezer (an upright one) but my son and his fiance are currently using it. Although it's not big enough for all their stuff so my chest freezer also holds some of their food too!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks