Saturday 17 September 2022

Long weekend

 

Brrrr!!  It was a chilly start to my long weekend, 5 degrees C here.  Very autumnal!  I was woken up by next door's builders tipping a lorry load of tarmac onto their new driveway at 7.20am.  I'm hoping the (illegal) early start means they'll be finished sooner 🙄

First thing on my agenda today is to practise the best way for cooking/keeping bacon warm using my Crockpot.  I'm in charge of making bacon butties for our morning break at school.  We only get 15 mins so I need to perfect a way of cooking it (oven first?) then keeping it warm (or cooking it?) in the crockpot so everyone can get a hot bacon roll in time.  If anyone's ever done it please leave your tips in the comments.  There's no cooker in the staffroom hence the need for cooking in advance then keeping it warm.  Lidl are currently selling these large packs of 24 rashers for £3.29 😋

Other plans for the weekend include pickling beetroot.  Sadly my own haven't grown much but I picked up several bunches in Lidl for 99p a bunch.  It'll be messy but I'll wear gloves! 😂

I've knitted a few more sock blanket squares this week so I'll be stitching them together and adding them to my blanket.  I'll try to get a decent photo of the blanket when I'm done.

I picked up a bag of tulips (30 for £4.99 in Lidl) and I'll be planting these on the allotment at some point.  The weather is to stay dry all weekend so I'm hoping to get a good tidy up session done.  Might even have some things to harvest!

But the biggest job this weekend will be to clear my craft room of all the 'stuff' that came out of the upstairs bedroom!  And that's just 1 room.  The family room next to it is equally full!!  But I'll settle for at least 1 clear room by Monday night! 

8 comments:

  1. Keeping cooked bacon warm can be tricky because of course you don't want it drying out - I'll be interested to know what you decide to do and apologies for not coming up with any ideas to help!
    Craft stuff seems to need almost constant tidying and sorting doesn't it - or perhaps that's my excuse for spending time rearranging my craft stuff rather than actually getting on and making something!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, couple of hours in the Crockpot made it rather crispy! So next attempt is just chuck it in raw and see how it cooks. I'm being ruthless with my craft stuff this time!!

      Delete
  2. Don’t overdo things, Ali even though you have a lot to do. Are the bacon rolls a treat for one day each week or every day? We used to have treats on Inservice days which usually meant I had to dash to Costco the night before! Enjoy your extra day off even though it’s for a sad reason. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being sensible, wee bit at a time! Bacon rolls are for Monday morning breaks as that's my non contact time. I can prep the bacon in our Lab (multi purpose room with a cooker) in between doing my planning/photocpoying etc for the week ahead :-)

      Delete
  3. I would cook it, then transfer into a substantial dish (perhaps a casserole with close fitting lid that you had pre-warmed with boiling water?)

    Pour hot water back into the kettle (hey, I'm trying to save money!), boil again and fill one or two hot water bottles, then pack the whole lot into an insulated cool box. I used to keep food hot that way for a couple of hours when I was feeding charity volunteers and nothing gets overcooked or dried out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, that sounds good. It's the overcooked/dried out bit I'm struggling with

      Delete
  4. If I could find bacon like that, I would be eating bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great deal!! And actually tastes good too :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks