Sunday 11 September 2022

Of Kings and Queens

 

I'm absolutely not a royalist but I've found the last few days interesting and actually quite moving.  From a historical viewpoint the accession and proclamations have been fascinating.  Thanks to modern technology we have been able to see the whole process that has taken place behind closed doors for centuries.  There seems to be universal praise for the Queen and a growing respect for our new King who I hope will modernise and slim down the monarchy.  I'm rather enjoying watching the ceremonies and traditions across the 4 nations of the UK and I'm glad that the transition is seamless.

Over the weekend my lovely mum finished stripping off the wallpaper in my back bedroom which used to be my youngest son's room.  I've emptied the cupboards of "stuff" (which I have to say was only about 50% mine!!) so it's all ready to paint now.  It's a north facing room so painting it my usual (cheap) brilliant white will brighten it up.

Now I just need to decide whether to get a skip for all the "stuff" or do multiple runs in the car to the recycling centre!!

8 comments:

  1. Last time I thought about getting a skip the cost had increased so much that all of a sudden making multiple runs to the local site did not seem such a hardship . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finding the pageantry very interesting as it is something I have never seen or even thought about.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fascinating isn't it? All that history and meaning behind everything, it feels 'right' for the mood of the nation. Scotland isn't particularly royalist but I'm sensing a shift in public attitude

      Delete
  3. We are so lucky aren't we, it's like we suddenly have 'all access passes' to all the previously unseen things thanks to the medium of television and modern technology. My Mum remembers crowding round a friend's radio to hear the news of when King George died and Elizabeth made her first speech as Queen.

    Multiple trips to the tip will be SO much cheaper than a skip. That room has a lot of storage doesn't it, I think I would be removing all the cupboards to make the room feel larger ... and to stop me from filling them up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's looking like mutiple trips to the tip!! The cupboards are built into the eaves (they're actually curved) so they're not tall. But one is very wide! And to be fair some 'stuff' also came from another cupboard on the hall landing. But it's not all mine! There are boxes of uni books, old DVDs and PlayStation games. No longer wanted so just left when they all moved out!!!!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic storage space in the room-is this going to be your craft room? Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's staying a bedroom. My craft room will be downstairs

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks