Wednesday 19 October 2022

Nearly done!

 

The painting was finished yesterday and the carpet was fitted this morning!  As expected the carpet fitter has scuffed a few of the doors and some of the skirting boards.  I thought he might so I'm not too upset.  The removal guys may do some more scuffs on Friday so I'll wait until the weekend to touch everything up again.  It's a North facing room and my camera doesn't show up how lovely and bright the room is now.

So far we've used a whole 5 litre tin of Satinwood and the best part of a 10 litre tub of emulsion.  I already had the wood stain for the window.  It was thoroughly scrubbed with sugar soap and then sanded.  The double glazing is rather old but it cleaned up nicely.  The handles were replaced not long after I moved in.  But I needed to order some new thingies for windows.

The description on eBay calls them "window handle cockspur wedges striker plates"  😂  As you can see the old ones looked awful and just wouldn't clean.  I ordered 18 @ 55p each and replaced them on all the upstairs windows.  That wee white thingy makes a difference!!

Edited to add an example of a cockspur handle for Sue!!  😂

I've got some furniture to build then I need to get some wallpaper up on the bathroom walls.  Then I'm ready for my new house mates! 

9 comments:

  1. Despite reading the description 3 times I still have no idea what they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the wee bit that the handle closes onto on the actual frame. I'll try to add a picture

      Delete
    2. I eventually found a picture to show what they are!! It's obviously an older style of handle on uPVC double glazing windows

      Delete
  2. Looking very smart, I had no idea you could buy replacement thingumijigs for double glazed windows!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, handles, vents etc. I've got a few blown units (condensation between the glass) so there's a local company that can fix the units. Much cheaper than new windows that I just can't afford!!

      Delete
  3. We bought some new handles recently and what a difference they have made! I used to change the little yellow/white covers on the screws on my number plates periodically to smarten them up as I kept my last car for seven years. Little things that don’t cost much make such a difference. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a good tip as I'm planning on keeping this car forever!! Yes it's the wee things that can make a difference :-)

      Delete
  4. Things are moving right along.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day left until they move in. I've got a bathroom to finish today!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks