Thursday 29 June 2023

Very Berry!

 

It's been very wet the last few days which is good for my parched garden and plot.  I popped down yesterday to pick my berries only to discover that the birds had got to my blackcurrants 😱  And they'd broken 2 big branches by standing on them.  I did have netting on that bed but it had blown off and I'd never got round to replacing it.  Heyho, my own fault! You'll see in the video how many I got!! 😂

I decided to make gooseberry gin liqueur with a bottle of gin my Lovely Mum had opened and not used in ages.  Neither of us are keen on this one.  I froze the gooseberries to soften the skin (like you do with sloes) so I didn't need to prick each one!!  I'll let it sit for a few months to infuse then make jam with the gooseberries when I strain them off.  Flavoured gin and jam from the same berries 😋


I've been picking strawberries from my garden each morning.  I eat some and freeze the rest.  I've been saving the tops too as I've seen a few ideas to use them to make syrup or a flavoured vinegar.  The initial recipe I saw said pick off the green bits but a few others showed the tops still on.  So I'll just freeze the whole top from now on as it saves time.

I've been drying some rose petals on my sunny window so I can make a rosemary and rose infused oil to make a salve later in the Summer.  I'm definitely going to be making more lotions and potions with my garden produce.  These petals came from the rose Very Berry which is growing abundantly in my front garden in one of the raised beds 🌹

Gorgeous and has a lovely rose scent!

P.S.  Just one more day until I retire!! 🎈🎉🎊

10 comments:

  1. Funnily enough we've picked our gooseberries today - pounds of them, did well even after the recent very dry weather. I've now got the tedious task of topping and tailing prior to freezing. A very useful fruit.
    Love the gin/jam idea and the rose petal salve will be gorgeous.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The alcohol burns off when you're boiling the jam so it's a fab win/win for 2 yummy things!! I saw a Youtube video on making a rose petal salve and thought it sounded lovely :-)

      Delete
  2. I’m a lover of gooseberries but there are a challenge to buy near me. My daughter recently started off some rhubarb gin and I made my share into poached rhubarb for yoghurt and froze some chopped stalks for winter crumbles. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made rhubarb gin last year that went down a storm as gifts at Christmas!!

      Delete
  3. So have you got a ‘hoolie’ planned to celebrate your retirement? Be a devil and get absolutely p*ssed and kick your heels up (bugger the hangover) you deserve the all the fun in the world 💐🥂. Jan in Castle Gresley xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The party last week was the hoolie!!! But I may partake in a wee glass or 2 tonight!

      Delete
  4. Lots of great berries.

    I am also making more lotions and potions using my herbs. I didn't know one could dry rose petals and use them. Perhaps I need to plant some roses and keep my fingers crossed they actually grow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you dry the herbs or petals first then soak them in oil for a few weeks before using the oil to make salves etc I've had dried calendula in oil for months that needs straining and using soon!

      Delete
  5. Reused gooseberries - genius. I have a bowl of apricots strained out of apricot liqueur in the fridge at the moment, which we are eating (carefully rationed!) with ice cream for dessert. As the liquid was mainly wine, with some added vodka, they don't taste too much of alcohol. Usually I steep fruit in straight vodka, gin or whisky and end up throwing the fruit away afterwards as it is just too strong, but making it into jam really appeals to my frugal streak! The one fruit I have successfully recycled is the sloes from sloe gin. Added to a bottle of port for 3 weeks and then strained off they produce Nelson's Blood, which tastes amazing. Think super rich and porty port. If you don't like port you can also infuse them in cider to produce something lighter and fresher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo that sounds absolutely delicious!!! Might try that!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks