Friday 24 November 2023

And another week whizzed by!


The first snow flurries this morning when I got up to do the dogs!  Although it didn't last I think the weather is definitely becoming more wintery.  That said it's a brilliant sunny morning despite the temperature.

Yesterday while Luna was at puppy day care I managed to fit in a dentist appointment, go visit my Lovely Mum and sister and left the slow cooker doing a big batch of chicken and veggies.  Today I'll turn it all into ready meals and pies for the freezer.  I also did a big batch of bolognaise and made up some pasta bakes last night.

Luna after a day in puppy day care!! ๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜‚

Earlier in the week I made asparagus and leek soup with the asparagus ends I'd saved.  It tasted delicious but it was very stringy due to the end bits.  A bit like eating paintbrush bristles!! I blitzed it and sieved it but honestly wasn't worth the hassle!  I'm a bit fed up with my usual carrot and lentil based soups so I was looking for something new.  Anyone got any new ideas for soups that I can batch make and freeze?

I made some lemon marmalade using up a tin that was lurking at the back of the store cupboard.  It was dated September 2023 but was absolutely fine.  I like the lemon version, sometimes I add gin to it once I've taken it off the boil.  This time it's just plain old delicious lemon ๐Ÿ‹

I've been painting some of the high up bits in my kitchen and filling in dents and holes around the utility room.  I can do wee jobs while Luna is around but save the big ones for when she's at day care.  In the evenings I've been sock knitting plus I kept going with the crazy Victorian style patchwork, just for practising my French knots and blanket stitch.  You can't see all the frayed edges in the photo but it definitely wouldn't stand up to be used on a bag which was my original idea.  I loved doing it though! 

I've been trying read more at night instead of watching YouTube but my varifocal glasses aren't helping so I suspect a visit to the optician is on the cards next week to check my eyesight.  Might even do some Christmas shopping while I'm in town to make it worth my while ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜‚

15 comments:

  1. Cauliflower cheese soup! Make it using the cauliflower leaves and stalk as well as the curds and chopped onion, potato and stock, blitz it then freeze it. When you defrost, add some milk to thin it to the desired consistency then stir in grated cheese to serve. It has become my new favourite and it uses up the entire cauliflower, stalks and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy! I'll give this one a try :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ali, my goodness hasn’t Luna grown! She is just gorgeous.
    Ideas for soup:
    - broccoli and or cauliflower & blue stilton (add low fat cream cheese for creaminess)
    - red lentil & bacon or ham or gammon
    - pea (use frozen) with mint or tarragon add cream or such as well
    - potato with either leek or watercress
    - Combinations in any ways of:- sweet potato, butternut squash, pumpkin, onion, tomatoes ( in any form), peppers, red lentils, carrots.
    - Flavour soups with any Thai curry, Indian curry, coconut milk/cream, crรจme fraiche, stock cubes or anything lurking in the store cupboard.
    Have fun and get your taste buds tickled ๐Ÿ˜‹xx. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab ideas! Definitely need to up my game by trying new combinations i think :-)

      Delete
  3. How about parsnip and apple, with or without a handful of red lentils? I do the National Trust recipe but always leave out any cream. We roast huge trays of pumpkin, peppers, garlic and onions and then blitz some of that into soup as well as eating some as veg.
    Also love pea soup. I buy Morrisons wonky frozen peas as the base. Just chuck in some ham when you heat it back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not tried parsnip and apple before, that's one to try. I do like adding a splash of cream as I think it makes it anything taste better :-)

      Delete
    2. I remembered it wrongly. It doesn't have cream in this one https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/discover/food/recipes/soups-stews-curries/parsnip-and-apple-soup
      The nutmeg is lovely - if you like nutmeg.

      Delete
  4. My favourite is butternut squash, green apple and curry. Fry chopped onion in butter with some curry powder, add the squash and apple, cook until tender then blend until smooth. Add some apple juice if it is too thick. I also make cauliflower and curry, it's good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a version with roasted butternut squash, apple, honey and chilli. I like the sound of a curried version though :-)

      Delete
  5. Broccoli cheese soup, squash soup, ordinary potato soup are my additions to your list.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of broccoli and cauliflower recommendations seem to be popular. Definitely will try those! :-)

      Delete
  6. My two favourite soups are curried parsnip-and-carrot (made with a good dollop of curry paste) and butternut squash, chilli and coconut milk. Both are great for beating the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my zucchini soup, chopped zucchini, 1/2 onion, 1/2 - 1 tsp cumin and water/broth, then laughing cow cheese (optional) and blitz, a suggestion for your asparagus end bits, put in cheesecloth then you don't have to deal with the stringy bits but still get your flavour.
    Tory

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks