Friday 6 September 2024

Foodie Friday!

 

I got another decent Lidl box this week and was also early enough to get 2 chicken breasts for 90p!  I'm getting more useable coupons on the app now so had a 25% off for unsalted butter.  It's already a good price at £1.69 for British made butter so I was happy with the discount.  I had 3 free bakery items to claim as well but didn't realise the croissant one hadn't activated.  The wee focaccia with cheese and tomatoes and the pretzel are now in the freezer to test how well they freeze!

I made kiwi compote with the perfectly ripe kiwis 🥝 I'm not making jam this year (jars and equipment are somewhere still packed in a box) but compote freezes well and I've plenty of freezer space now.  Plus compotes use less sugar than jam!!

I also made apricot compote.  It was more fiddly as I had to skin them first.  So I now have 6 pots of compote, each one probably has about 2 to 3 servings depending on how greedy I am!

I also made strawberry top syrup!  I saw this on Pinterest and have been saving the tops all Summer in the freezer.  It's so easy.  Put in a pan with water, bring to the boil, add sugar and simmer until syrupy! Strain and bottle.

It's not going to last long in the fridge as I didn't sterilise anything  for long term storage so it's now frozen in wee tubs in the freezer!  It's absolutely delicious considering it's made from the bit you'd normally compost! 🍓

I did put all this in a video for Foodie Friday on YouTube but despite 3 attempts to upload it won't let me.  All I get is a corrupted file message 🙄 I haven't done anything different so suspect it's a ploy to get me to upgrade to the paid version of Clip Champ.  We'll see if it uploads the next one.

I'm realising now how much of a commitment having a 'popular' channel needs. Even when I'm not on the laptop I'm getting notifications/comments on my phone all day and all night.  I haven't figured out how to stop them yet!  I'd say about 90% of the comments are lovely/respectful/genuine.  The rest are people who clearly don't watch the whole thing and jump right in with questions (I'm STILL getting the how old are you/why are you not getting your State pension!!!) Some are saying I shouldn't have a dog if I'm poor (eh, where did I say I was poor??)  I've deleted a few personal ones that commented on my lack of make up (WTF?) and hair.  And banned one guy who was demanding a lot of personal details about my kids, grandchildren(???) and went on a rant about single women, the declining population and immigrants.

Someone said YouTube is like the Wild West!  Yup!!! 🤠

20 comments:

  1. A good Lidl box again there, and some really good bargains. If you can't get the notifications to stop you could at least set them to silent to stop your phone pinging all the time. I also have my phone set on silent from 10pm to 7am, so nothing wakes me up/annoys me. If there's any emergency family all know to ring three times in quick succession to reactivate the ring.

    I really do wonder at the mentality of people that expect to know all the details of everyone else's lives. I think soap operas have a lot to answer for!! Stay safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I need to do that to my phone. My DIL is dog sitting tomorrow so I'll ask her as she's good with phone stuff if I can't figure it out. I do wonder how celebrities put up with everyone wanting to know all their personal stuff. The internet has a lot to answer for :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Goodness there are some strange folk around aren't there? I've turned off notifications for loads of stuff now, it can be so antisocial getting a ping at midnight just for Facebook to tell me something totally inane 🙄😉😂
    That strawberry top syrup is genius.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The syrup is amazing! I'll be doing this again next year once I have my own strawberries again :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Definitely use the do not disturb facility on your phone, I have mine scheduled 10pm to 8am every day. I have an Android phone and the do not disturb facility lets me allow through call from contacts marked as favourites. They are the only people I wouldn't mind my phone making a noise for.
    It certainly is the wild west, and I still think you are brave for riding off into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep it on in case my mum or my non driving son/DIL need me in an emergency but need to work out how to silence all the other pings!! :-) xxx

      Delete
    2. You should be able to set do not disturb up so that your family can always get you. That's what happens with my do not disturb. I can choose to allow favourites through and block everything else. We've only marked family members as favourite contacts. The phone makes no other sound other than calls or messages from them.

      Delete
  4. Those Lidl boxes are such a bargain. I've asked people who use Lidl in Stowmarket if they've ever seen one and nobody has.
    Picked up some yellow sticker salmon in Asda to see the price - they'd been reduced by 20p!
    Complete lack of bargains anywhere.
    I'd not looked at comments on your youtubes - I have now - blimey some people are so weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pop into Lidl every time I'm passing now and only ever see them on Monday mornings around 9am. My Tesco is doing the same with YS now, not much of a reduction on most things. The YT comments can be both entertaining and annoying! :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Well, I definitely agree with everyone saying to mute your comments, at least overnight! It's too bad that you are getting such weird comments, but hopefully that will all die down in time.
    Your compotes sound lovely - you're going to enjoy your desserts going forward. 😊 Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to do a few boring knitting or gardening videos to get rid of the weirdos! LOL!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Never seen a bargain box in Lidl but I don’t tend to go at any specific time. I love the idea of compote and agree that it takes much less sugar. We silence our phones from 10pm-7am allowing only family members to get through. If you go into your notifications in settings you should be able to silence the pings! I’m in a couple of WhatsApp groups and have silenced them. I’m crafting today after having my latest jab. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The compotes are delicious although they don't keep long in the fridge due to the lack of sugar. Hope your jab was ok :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. I silence my phone too just before I go to bed. The family know to ring the main house phone in an emergency and we never give out the number to anyone else.
    I too am wondering why people are so weird on youtube ???? Good grief.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get why they're weird. If I watch something I don't like or don't believe I just move on. If someone's got something I haven't I just think good for them and move on. I've been told I'm lucky I'm 'rich' or that I'm too 'poor' to have a dog. Can't be both!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. I have a very unsmart phone, with very limited features, so if I don't want to be disturbed I just turn it off, but I appreciate that might not work for you. I really couldn't be dealing with the weirdos on Youtube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just laughing at the weird ones now. They don't like it when I answer back!! Lol! :-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Great box of bargains there. I turn the sound off on my phone so as not to be bothered with the constant beeping. Those that really need to get ahold of me know my cell number, or my landline number.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notifications are now silenced, phew! :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. There are some very odd people around, aren't there? xx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks