Friday 21 July 2023

Doors and raspberries

 

It's been on my to do list for a while now but these patio doors were a bit leaky and needed replaced.  I ordered new ones a few months ago and it's taken a while for them to arrive.  When I lifted the carpet up (no underlay, just nailed straight onto the floor 🙄)  I was shocked to see the tide of water marks on the floor.  It's been leakier than I thought!!!!


The replacement doors are sliding doors.  They were the cheapest option and as I'm moving next year there was no point in spending a lot of money.  My son has a wee dehumidifier so I've had it running for a couple of days.  I've been surprised at how much water has been collected already!  I'm getting a new carpet fitted next week so want to make sure I get as much moisture out as I can!  I got a remnant that should have been £945 full price, down to £219.  The underlay, gripper rods and fitting cost double that!!  😂 Now I just need to paint the walls and skirting boards before Wednesday and the room is ready for my son and DIL to use as their separate sitting room 😊

My garage now has the poshest window in the house!  It replaces the original window which must have been when the garage was built in the late 60s.  It was completely rotten and pretty much fell out when the guys touched it.  That's another tick on my list of things that have to be done to avoid being picked up on a home survey report.


Remember that 1kg of raspberries I was dehydrating?  Waste of time and effort!!  After 28 hours only the smallest ones were dried and they were tasteless.  The larger ones were still squishy.


I popped them into bottles and topped them up with raw apple cider vinegar to make raspberry vinegar.  If I can find a raspberry chutney or relish recipe I'll re use the berries once I've strained it. Or I might just blitz it all and strain it to make a raspberry dressing for salad 😋

I picked another 1/2 kg at the plot this morning but just ate some and froze the rest!  Now I've got Prince's Raspberry Beret stuck in my head!! 


10 comments:

  1. I really like those doors!!!

    Too bad that dehydrating the raspberries didn't work out. I was hoping that it would so I could give it a try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really disappointed with results but they didn't got to waste. The larger ones that weren't totally dried tasted a bit better so maybe I'll try just doing some big ones when I've got the dehydrator on the next time to test that theory! :-)

      Delete
  2. Doors and window look very smart. You are right to do the best value option because whoever buys your house will have different ideas. We watched the house next door go from a 3 bedroom bungalow to a two storey, 5 bedroom 3 bathroom house with a huge glass ground floor addition too. The double glazing, doors and porch had been added two years previously by the previous owner! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The room feels a bit brighter without the lines from the wee panes. It's a west facing room so is lovely in the late afternoon and evening when the sun is going down (now I've got George Michael/Elton John singing Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me in my head!!) My house was extended twice in the 80s (not very well) out the back to add 2 more rooms, a utility room and a shower room. My next door neighbour recently extended his house by just 6 feet upstairs and downstairs out the back and it looks like it was built like that as it's so well done. Yet I pay more council tax because I have an extra room!!

      Delete
  3. You've been busy :-) shame about the raspberries but as you say they weren't wasted.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a busy week with another busy one ahead!! Keeps me out of mischief!! :-)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely difference those doors make, so much more light and a better view of the garden. I always hated the small panes in the windows of our Welsh house, why would anyone put those in when the view opposite was so perfect.

    At least you now know that raspberries don't take to freeze drying, they do freeze well though don't they, I like to keep some in the freezer to add to muffins over the Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I'll stick to freezing them from now on!!

      I've finished painting the room now so just waiting for the carpet fitter to come tomorrow :-)

      Delete
  5. Good save on the raspberries. I use mine to make fruit leather, you add them pureed to applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just tasted of dried pips!! Lesson learned :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks