Wednesday 5 July 2023

Making plans

 


I'm still at mum's house as she's still in hospital.  And my sister is still alive (see last post's comments) 😂 But I've discovered she doesn't cook, she doesn't do the supermarket shopping and was genuinely shocked at the price of a pack of gammon!  So guess who is doing the shopping and cooking??  To be fair, she cleans up afterwards and can load the dishwasher.

I used this spice kit tonight (currently £2 in Sainsbury's with your Nectar card) for the first time.  I was very impressed and made a chicken and cauliflower curry with it.  It was very good 😋 I stretched it and got 4 decent portions so we'll have it another night.


We picked some of the soft fruit in mum's garden before it was too late.  It's been wet for a whole week now and a lot of rasps had gone mouldy.  But we managed to save enough to pop in the freezer for her.  Hopefully she can make jam or jelly later on.  If not, they'll come to me to use up so no waste here!


We're starting to plan ahead for when mum comes home.  I bought and assembled a shower chair. My sister doesn't assemble things 😂 Luckily my mum (and dad) had the foresight to future proof their house and had a downstairs wet room installed when dad couldn't get up the stairs any more.  I know occupational health would supply one but it would be a pre used one.  At least mum will know hers is the only bum to sit on this one!!  We'll move her bed downstairs .  Luckily she has a separate sitting room that became a bedroom when dad was alive.  It may just be temporary but we'll wait and see.  There are already grab rails etc installed around the house so I'm hopeful mum will be able to safely move about her own home independently.

Ironically, a few weeks ago we had a wee conversation stating that her dearest wish (should anything happen) is to stay in her own home where she's lived for 45 years.  Even if she has to pay for carers.

It's always good to know what people want in these circumstances beforehand and have a plan.  You know I do like a plan! 😊

4 comments:

  1. Just read your comment about a used shower seat, please check with occ health if anything else is needed as since covid, nothing is reused anymore. Everything is scrapped on collection & brand new items given out. This has been due to the inability to sanitise & clean everything satisfactorily. I was amazed when told by several friends in OH depts around the country that this is happening UK wide. i hope your Mum is home soon and gets to enjoy all that lovely fruit that you've picked for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't know that about the new items. My main thought was that there might be a delay in getting her home if they couldn't source things quickly. Luckily everything is now safe and ready for when she gets the go ahead :-)

      Delete
  2. I really hope you are able to grant your Mum's wish to stay in her own place, my dear old mum was devastated that she wasn't able to return home after her life changing stroke, she gave up hope and stopped eating - it was heartbreaking watching her fade away so slowly...... don't wish it on anyone. On a more positive note, the soft fruit looks delicious, hope she gets t make that jam :-) x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I spent the day moving her bed, clothes and chests of drawers downstairs to the sitting room and turned it back into a bedroom. Looks good! She still has a separate living/dining room too. I'm very hopeful she'll be able to live independently in her own home once all the medical stuff is out the way :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks