Saturday 9 September 2023

Doubling down on no/low spending!

 

Unfortunately despite doing really well, Luna didn't get signed off by the vet school as her liver enzymes are still a bit high.  She's to take a liver support supplement for the next month and they'll do more blood tests.  So a bit more expense!  And I finally heard back from my pet insurance who said they can't pay out as the 'condition' was diagnosed within the first 14 days of the policy starting.  So puppies are insured from when they're born until they leave the breeder.  Then there's this 2 week/14 days window where they're not, even though you pay for the policy to start from the day you get them.  And you can only start a policy from the time of legal ownership, no earlier to cover that 2 week gap.  I'm not surprised they've not paid out (bunch of crooks!!!) but I am annoyed.  It's a heck of a lot of money to come out my savings so I'm doubling down on the no/low spending.

Frankly I'm not spending money on anything but the barest of bare essentials.  I'm eating out of the freezer and storecupboard for the next few months and looking at every single thing I eat and drink!!  I need to get creative!

I'd drunk all my Rocks blackcurrant squash.  It's my absolute favourite but at £3.50ish a bottle it's very much a luxury.  And I discovered when I looked closely at the label it only has 740ml.  Not even the standard 750ml of most other squashes!  Shrinkflation again!!

So I've decided to make my own cordials. The worst that's in them is sugar!  (BTW I looked at the ingredients on a Ribena label!!! 😦)  I had loads of dried elderberries in the store cupboard so made around 1 litre of  Elderberry, ginger and lime cordial.  (I had some frozen lime juice and chopped ginger in the freezer.)  It's blooming delicious!! 😋 And very dark as you can see in the photo, that's a clear glass bottle!   I have some ideas for other fruit cordials/squash so I can use up more of the fruit in the freezer and create drinks without additives and artificial sweeteners.  Since giving up my diet Coke habit I've been looking for drinks that are less processed.  Obviously I could just drink more water 🙄 but I do struggle with that.

I finally had enough ripe Roma tomatoes in the freezer (I've been adding them as they ripen on the window sill) so I cooked them.  Just tomatoes, nothing else added.  I've got a very disappointing 3 freezer tubs worth (each around 350g) which isn't even the equivalent of 3 tins of chopped tomatoes.  They taste good but nothing special.  I can buy a tin of basics tomatoes for 35p.  Hardly seems worth the effort and asking a favour of my plot neighbours to water the polytunnel when I wasn't able to get to the plot.

I harvested my chillies.  I let some ripen fully and left some green.  Neither have any heat.  Zero chilli flavour.  My green fingers have deserted me this year I think!

But my DIL is developing hers!  I've even got her saving seeds for next year!!  Sunflower and poppy seeds drying off on the window sill 🌻

And she's becoming an expert on finding yellow stickers!  Note how it says Too Good to Waste instead of reduced!!  She just happened to be in Waitrose at the right time and got around £65 worth of meat and fish for £22!!!!  She gifted me the above lamb mince 😊 Down from £6.55 to an amazing £2.59.  It's already cooked with grated carrots, courgettes (home grown) and onion (home grown!) and in the freezer. She also got a large fillet of wild Alaskan sockeye salmon down from £15 to £5.  We cut it into 4 decent portions and she gifted one to me!  It's also in the freezer 😋

I did get one of my important jobs ticked off my list ✅ I got my chimney swept!  It cost me £100.  I had the woodburner installed 6 years ago and the chimney hasn't been swept since 😳  So it's now all ready to be used when the weather turns colder (garage has a decent store of wood and heat logs bought in the sale) and I can also tell prospective buyers next year that it's been done and leave them the certificate!

10 comments:

  1. Pet insurance - and vet bills come to that - are a rip-off and play on our emotions, knowing that most owners will shell out anything for their pets, me included. Although I can't really fault our vets, we were told by ours to give Betty ordinary over-the-counter human antihistamines, rather than paying an extortionate amount for ones prescribed by the vet, which are basically the same product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if she now has an accident or a different illness she'll be covered or if she causes someone else to be hurt, she's covered. Or at least that's what my policy says... My vet (and a lot of others too) is having difficulty getting some drugs. Many of them are made in Europe so another Brexit issue!! So instead of Pardale (which is paracetamol and codeine for dogs) Emma just gets a human 500mg paracetamol from Tesco for her osteoarthritis! I did have to pay for the prescription (legal stuff) but yeah I was told the cheapest own brand would do. That's saved me an absolute fortune!!!!

      Delete
  2. Those insurance companies.......it beggars belief.........it's a good thing that you are able to so creatively make your money go further after a bank balance bashing like that!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so pleased I had the savings to cover it!! But those savings are getting depleted a lot quicker than I had planned so yep, things will get creative round here for the next wee while!!

      Delete
  3. A "secret" follower here. Been reading your blog for years and find it very inspiring!.. I´m guilty of being a chilli nerd. If you think your chillies were tasteless, that has nothing has nothing to do with you having "green fingers" or not. There´s a whole world of chillies out there with an amazing range of heat and flavour. I joined a FB group and learned so much there. I live in Sweden and like the UK we have short summers. So If possible I choose varieties that are fairly hardy and mature early. Capsicum Annuum is a good group. Seeds are an initial cost but then you save your own for swapping or even selling. There´s plenty of internet sites like this one below, where you can get an idea of the varieties out there. Be warned - chilli growing can be addictive! :-) https://seaspringseeds.co.uk/product-category/vegetable-seeds/chilli-seeds/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there! :-) I didn't grow this particular chilli from seed as I ran out of time this year so it was a gift from my Lovely Mum. It's an Apache chilli which is supposed to be hot and fiery with a hint of sweetness! It has no heat at all. I'll definitely be having a look at that site and I'll try not to get too addicted!! Lol!

      Delete
  4. This is why we don't have any of our pets insured, the only one I did insure was Bella and they said as her first vet visit was a day before the policy kicked in they wouldn't be able to help us. That was cancelled straight away. We just use our credit card for emergency and normal vet care and pay off at the end of the month. It is all a big con when you read the small print isn't it.

    All I can think of with your tasteless and heatless chilli is that perhaps it was over-watered a bit, that can dilute the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's a big con but we get sucked in!! My chilli may have been over watered when my plot neighbour kindly watered my polytunnel for a few weeks. Ah well, would have been nice to have some but not the end of the world!

      Delete
  5. I am trying to make a few of my own liqueurs as well. I have heard so much about elderberry cordials that next year I am going to see if anyone has some here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy dried elderberries at any time. I bought a huge bag a few years ago and used the last of them to make this batch. I've been having the cordial with hot water as the weather has been wet and cold here

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks