Thursday 3 August 2023

Going, going, gone!

 

When Tuppence died, I knew I'd have to remove Fort Klux for any future buyers of this house.  I also knew it would be a big job!!


Basically, brute force was needed to get most of it down.  And as I don't have any, it took me quite a few weeks to get it all down.  Chicken wire is vicious and I have the scratches to prove it!


But finally, it's gone!  I managed to get all the rotten wood, chicken wire and Perspex roofing to the recycling centre/tip this morning.  I loaded up with free compost while I was there.  My poor car is a mess!  I've reused some of the fence posts to create 2 beds to grow some Winter veg.  As the soil is so fertile (8 years of chickens pooping!) the weeds are loving it so I need to do some more weeding.  But I'm burst today so it'll have to wait.  It's safe enough and tidy enough for a puppy now! 🐕

There are still 2 posts that are very well concreted in.  I just can't get them out so I'm leaving them in.  I'd like to put a bird box on them and maybe a big pot at the bottom with something colourful climbing up the post.  I'm definitely putting in some Spring bulbs along the front of the beds so there's some colour in the garden when the house goes on sale.


This how my I want my next chicken coop to look.  It's actually a goose house that a FB friend has built on her farm.  I'll need to get someone in to build it for me but it looks rather predator proof to me! 

13 comments:

  1. Well done on your hard work. It looks pretty tidy now. All ready for 4 paws to walk over your nice new raised bed :-) Bet you are getting excited for Luna's arrival now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very excited!! It looks tidy but there are a few areas needing work. But I never let Emma outside unsupervised and I won't let Luna out either unless I'm there too :-)

      Delete
  2. Well done, Ali, but some gentler work needed now. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is on my agenda for the next few weeks except puppy training! :-)

      Delete
  3. Well done for getting it sorted. Looking forward to hearing more tales of the new pup x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Don't worry there will be a lot of photos!!!! :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow, you did an excellent job of pulling the coop down. I think a bird house on the top of the post and something climbing the post would be lovely.

    Have fun puppy training.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Puppy training is going to keep me busy for a while :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Ali, Rachel from Etern 28 here,
    My phone won’t let me comment properly. I admire
    Your strength to get Fort Klux down and the very fertile soil sentence made me chuckle
    And imagined Jack and the beanstalk size plants frowning overnight! A puppy??? I must read back now in your posts to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that as I get older I can still do the 'stuff' I always did but it just takes longer!!! Yep, a puppy!! LOL!

      Delete
  6. Am back - but on my laptop! Frowning overnight? GROWING overnight hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  7. The space where Fort Klux was looks brilliant, and YES that soil will be perfect for growing in. It might be a good idea to plant through membrane to keep the weeds in the dark and let the cabbages etc prosper. That 'goose house' is a great design to keep in mind for future birds and good for all the Avian Flu precautions that need to be taken these days.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks