Thursday 10 August 2023

Stuck in the kitchen with you!


Luna continues to make her presence felt in the house!  She's very motivated by food (like most Labradors) and can already sit on command for a scooby snack!!  The above photo is me halfway through rearranging where I'm keeping the food as having 2 different lots of bulky feed bags takes up space.  Plus I want it safely secured and away from a mischievous pup!!

Unfortunately she picked up a nasty D&V bug which meant an expensive trip to the vet.  Puppies often get an upset tummy in the first few days home but I knew this was more than that.  The vet thinks it may be giardia, a nasty parasite that can easily be passed around dogs, humans and cats.  I'm waiting for test results.  She got an anti nausea injection and oh my, she screamed the place down for 10 seconds.  She's definitely going to be a drama queen!!! 👸  She's already bounced back and is up to mischief again! 😊

Since we're stuck in the kitchen (apologies to Gerry Rafferty for the pun!) and utility areas, I've been doing some batch cooking/meal prepping.  I'm being especially noisy so she gets used to it while sleeping!  I roasted a chicken and will make soup today.  I made a meatloaf and some meat balls. Normally I would 'cheat' and just make up a Paxo type stuffing mix and mix it with the raw minced beef.  I'm trying very hard to cut out processed foods (thanks to reading the Ultra Processed People book! 😱) so fried some of my onions from the allotment with finely chopped bacon.  Mixed in some oats and added mixed herbs and garlic granules.  I filled my loaf tin and had some mixture leftover so made 10 decent sized meatballs.  Tasted rather good except maybe a bit under seasoned.  Already in the freezer 😋 

I also chopped up some unwaxed lemons and made my honey and lemon remedy for the Winter. I think it's the easiest, least faffy one I make.  Fill a big jar with lemons and pour over a jar of honey.  It's in the fridge now for a few weeks before it gets all gooey and marmaladey.  Just add some to hot water for a soothing drink.  It's really good for a raspy sore throat.  I picked up some of the Greek honey in Lidl a few weeks ago.  Greek Pine honey has good anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties so it'll be good for those coughs and sneezes I always pick up.  Or maybe I won't this year now I'm not in school! 😉  I'll use the thyme honey in my next fire cider batch.  I'm already planning ahead!!

Today my plan is to make a big batch of pancakes for the freezer.  Scotch pancakes not the crepe style ones. I'm moving away from gluten free flours as xanthan gum is not good for the gut.  Apparently it's just like wallpaper paste, sticking everything together!  Instead I'm going to try organic wheat flour as it's the same price as GF.  It seems to make no difference if I exclusively eat GF or not.  I think moderation of any 'wheat based' product might work better for my wonky digestive system! 

Can't not post a last photo of my 2 favourite girls! 💕

16 comments:

  1. Another Ultra Processed People fan!! It's a real eye opener, isn't it?

    Luna is gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read it and watched several of his videos on YouTube. I like his common sense approach, not preachy at all. And yep, Luna is too cute for her own good! :-) xxx

      Delete
    2. I wonder if spelt flour might be worth a try. It contains gluten but an older type of wheat that we seem to react less to. Nathalie

      Delete
    3. Yes I've thought about spelt flour as it's been 'less mucked about with' than modern wheat. I'll definitely give it a try at some point :-)

      Delete
  2. Aww, sorry to hear that Luna has been poorly, but how lovely to see both dogs happy together in her cage and wondering about food stealing possibilities.

    Yes the UPF book is a real eye-opener isn't it, it's changed a lot of what I'm eating. The honey and lemon drink is a brilliant idea, I think I'll use the jar that I have in the cupboard to do this as I don't like the taste of honey on toast or anything like that and it's been in there for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They manage to stay friends for about 10 seconds then it's cue the barking madly at each other!!

      I'm also changing the way I eat and combining it with fasting and time restricted eating. I like Dr Mindy Pelz on YouTube as she's a Dr and a woman in her 50s, so is walking the walk!!

      Delete
  3. Love the sound of the cold remedy - after the few weeks do you need to strain it off?
    Keep coming with the doggy pics, love them :-)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it doesn't need strained. Just leave it as is in the fridge until needed. Scoop out what you need into a mug (maybe a big dessert spoonful) and top up with hot water. I like to squish the lemon with a spoon as I drink it. Sometimes I throw a few dried elderberries into the mug as well for an extra boost :-)

      Delete
  4. My winter jar is doing its thing on top of the meat safe - honey with garlic and ginger, will add lemon later when I decant it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the simple remedies actually work the best! :-)

      Delete
  5. Luna's eyes are pretty, will the colour change? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Her mum's eyes are pale but her dad's are darker so who knows? :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh, now I have another remedy to try this winter.... I will need to get lemons and honey the next time I go shopping.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy to make and it lasts for ages in the fridge :-)

      Delete
  7. That photo needs a speech bubble above Emma's head. "If you can get into that food, I'll have a completely different attitude towards you" 🤣 I hope they get on; I always worry that the older dog know that this incomer is their replacement 🥹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! They're both very food motivated! It's about the last sense that Emma still has, she's very confused by the changes in the layout of the house. As well as being very pissed off at this incomer!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks