Thursday 20 June 2024

Painting and digging

 

I'm a bit at a standstill until I get my new shed put up as all my main DIY stuff is still packed away in boxes buried deep at the back of the spare bedroom.  But I ordered some paint any way and managed to find some random paintbrushes.  Yes that's bright pink kitchen cupboard paint! 😉



The bookcase has had one coat of Annie Sloan chalk paint in Giverny blue.  It's much brighter in real life.  It'll get another coat and then finished with wax to protect it. The inside and shelves will be orange.  Barcelona orange to be exact! But I'll need to decant all the books first 😂

I'm using some old cast iron bed supports as book ends so they've just had a first coat of orange. They're really heavy!  I love chalk paint as there's no prep and you can literally paint anything!

Outside, I've been digging out the existing border in my back garden.  It was so full of weeds and no plants at all!  The right hand corner wasn't too bad but as I've got over to the other side I've found some old rotting membrane under the weeds.  I knew it was there as Luna has been ripping off the bits sticking out and chewing them!!

Both my brown (compostable garden waste) and black (non recyclables) bins are now full so I've laid the offending membrane on some cardboard to dry out so I can maybe pull off more of the plant material.  If the bins are too full or too heavy they won't get emptied!! 

I'm planning to fill the border (once I've painted the fence) with the plants I brought from my old garden and maybe just a few from bargain corner too!!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Ali, just loving your paint ideas, seems like it will be colour all the way. Have you tried the Frenchic range of paints? I changed our pvc garage door from white to Apple of my Eye in the Alfresco range - a quick wash down, very light sanding, a quick wash with sugar soap, two coats of the said paint and the result is amazing, keep being asked if it is a new door!! All the best to you and Luna in your new home. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Frenchchic yet but when I googled how to paint a uPVC door it took me to videos of it being used. They do have some lovely colours. It's on my list!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. I really like that blue Ali, and I am looking forward to seeing the orange with it. I told Harvey I would really like to paint our outside doors, and he said okay, but when I mentioned a colour he had a bit of a hissy fit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the many advantages of just having myself to please is I can choose any colour I like!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Me too! It's called Raspberry Ripple :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Chalk paint - lovely stuff. Looking forward to seeing your garden transformation.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chalk paint for a quick colour update on small areas. The pink is for my kitchen cupboards ;-) I've been positioning my pots today in the new border to see how they look before I commit to planting them :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. You've made a great start. And I'm already envious of your idea for a pink kitchen. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to do too much all at once and achieve nothing so I'm enjoying the wee jobs. Painting the kitchen cupboards is slightly bigger but doable as it's only a temporary fix. The finish doesn't need to be perfect :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. What a brilliant use of the old cast iron bed supports as bookends. Genius. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're heavy so will stop the books falling over nicely :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks